Monday, September 27, 2010

Segway owner Jimi Heselden dies in Segway accident

This is currently the top story on Memeorandum, file it under “ironic”.
UK Daily Mail: Jimi Heselden, the multi-millionaire owner of the Segway company, died in a freak accident when he rode one of the high-tech two-wheel machines off a cliff and into a river
A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said today: 'Police were called at 11.40am yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above.
'A Segway-style vehicle was recovered. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
'At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious.' 
Invesitgators are probing whether there was a fault with his particular machine or it was driver error. 
What a very sad way to go, indeed.  I remember the great fanfare when the Segway was being launched.  We were told they would revolutionize transportation.  To date, I think I may have seen less than 10 in real life. 

There is a fellow in my neighborhood who tears around on one at breakneck speed, I think I am going to print this article and hand it to him the next time he goes buzzing by.


MiaZagora said...

Sounds suspicious to me. I'd be willing to bet there's more to it.

I think they give tours around the city on Segways, but I've never seen anyone riding one. It's a good idea for tours, but not very practical for everyday use for regular people. We drive our cars to get groceries and pick the kids up from school - things you can't do on a Segway. Besides, I wouldn't like to drive one of those things on a road where big trucks might not see me.

Janelle said...

Dean Kamen was the guy who invented this and he's still around.

SEO BRO said...

This is so scary. A friend of mine use to have one. He fell and was injure. They are not safe and secure.

buywowdruid said...

What a horrible death for honorable philantropist. This is a call for all to be carefull in manuevering their vehicles specially that segway.
Such a great loss for the family and beneficiaries of this pure hearted man.

buy wow druid

Related Posts with Thumbnails