Monday, September 27, 2010

Segway owner Jimi Heselden dies in Segway accident


This is currently the top story on Memeorandum, file it under “ironic”.
UK Daily Mail: Jimi Heselden, the multi-millionaire owner of the Segway company, died in a freak accident when he rode one of the high-tech two-wheel machines off a cliff and into a river
A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said today: 'Police were called at 11.40am yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above.
'A Segway-style vehicle was recovered. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
'At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious.' 
Invesitgators are probing whether there was a fault with his particular machine or it was driver error. 
What a very sad way to go, indeed.  I remember the great fanfare when the Segway was being launched.  We were told they would revolutionize transportation.  To date, I think I may have seen less than 10 in real life. 

There is a fellow in my neighborhood who tears around on one at breakneck speed, I think I am going to print this article and hand it to him the next time he goes buzzing by.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds suspicious to me. I'd be willing to bet there's more to it.

I think they give tours around the city on Segways, but I've never seen anyone riding one. It's a good idea for tours, but not very practical for everyday use for regular people. We drive our cars to get groceries and pick the kids up from school - things you can't do on a Segway. Besides, I wouldn't like to drive one of those things on a road where big trucks might not see me.

Janelle said...

Dean Kamen was the guy who invented this and he's still around.

SEO BRO said...

This is so scary. A friend of mine use to have one. He fell and was injure. They are not safe and secure.

buywowdruid said...

What a horrible death for honorable philantropist. This is a call for all to be carefull in manuevering their vehicles specially that segway.
Such a great loss for the family and beneficiaries of this pure hearted man.

buy wow druid

Related Posts with Thumbnails