Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chris Christie yanks Planned Parenthood funding in NJ

I just finished reading the GOP’s less than bold Pledge to America, and then I came across this item at National Review:
Part of Gov. Chris Christie’s belt-tightening plan for New Jersey was the termination of $7.5 million in public funding for Planned Parenthood clinics in the state, a decision Democrats in the legislature countermanded with a bill that cleared the Senate with a 30-10 vote — sufficient to override a veto. But when that veto came and the Democrats scheduled an override vote, Republicans in the legislature backed down, and the measure failed 23-17.
Now, Planned Parenthood facilities in the state are shuttering their doors:
After the New Jersey state Senate defeated an attempt to override the decision of Gov. Chris Christie to cut off state taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood abortion businesses, the first facility run by the national abortion giant is closing.
The Cherry Hill Courier Post newspaper says a Planned Parenthood facility located on Haddonfield Road and operated by Planned Parenthood of Southern New Jersey will close down.
PP-SNJ stands to lose as much as $160,000 in taxpayer funds because of Christie’s decision and the upholding of his veto. With the closing of the Cherry Hill center, Planned Parenthood customers seeking abortions or other “services” must go to PP centers in Camden, Bellmawr, and Edgewater Park.
More here.
Imagine that, taking on one the left’s sacred cows and having NJ Senate Republicans mimic Christie’s testosterone.

The thing I would like to know is why can pro abortion advocates privately fund abortion?  I am a pro-lifer and I fervently believe all innocent life deserves a chance at life.  So strongly is my belief that I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and I give as generously as I can to the pro-life cause.  If pro-abortion advocates believe as strongly as I do, why don’t they fund their own cause, rather than constantly try to have the public pick up the tab through the back door?

As very hard times approach this nation, it is high time we all give a serious look at all of these supposed “sacred cows” that must constantly be funded.
The National GOP would do well to ask Chris Christie to help them rewrite their pledge. As the current Pledge stands now, it is the basic stuff that Republicans should have been doing all along.  It doesn’t tackle the hard stuff like runaway entitlements.

Here is a little advice from Chris Christie for the national GOP :


Video h/t: The Right Scoop

8 comments:

Just Me said...

Christie is such a badass; I love it!
I agree 100%. If they want to support baby killing; let them do it on their own dime.

Janelle said...

This one really tears me into pieces. I am pro prevention, so the debate about this just nags like a really bad hangover. PP went over the cliff a long time ago and stopped educating about prevention. That's when they lost me. It appears to be a unionization of the womb now. That's bad on way too many levels.

Just a conservative girl said...

Having been in the direct mail fundraising world for more than a decade, I can tell you that Planned Parenthood raised big bucks. The direct mail world is incestious, everyone knows everyone else.

They mail out at least 1 million pieces of mail every month. So my question becomes where does all that money go? They also have monthly donors. As does NARAL. I can guarantee you, NARAL and Planned Parenthood are sending an emergency alert, and the copy is being edited as I write this.

I personally find them closing that clinic to be more of PR game than a financial necessity. I think that they are closing it to use it as a rallying cry; think about it, it is less than two months before a big election.

Anonymous said...

If the GOP had any brains, they would nominate this man to run against Obama in 2012.

Anonymous said...

Oh and he and Mayor Cory Booker will be on Oprah tomorrow afternoon to announce the massive education reform of the Newark NJ public schools. They also just received a $100 million from the founder of Facebook for the school system that will include charter schools and vouchers. That is reaching across party lines for something as important as Public Education in our rundown urban cities. This guy is great we want to keep him here in NJ!

Osumashi Kinyobe said...

You are absolutely right, Clifton.
There is no reason why Planned Parenthood should be getting public funding. If pro-abortionists believe in the cause so much, they can pony up the cash.
Governor Christie, I imagine, will rack up a few enemies during his stint in office. I think he's spot-on!

Gorges Smythe said...

"AMEN" to madmath1's remark!

Lonely Conservative said...

I like Christie on a lot of issues. His battle against the unions is great. So is this. But why does he campaign for RINOs and why won't he come out against Obamacare? And the immigration issue? What's up with this guy? I can't figure him out.

Oh, and thanks for the plug!

Related Posts with Thumbnails