Thursday, January 28, 2010

Rest In Peace: JD Salinger



JD Salinger, author of the famous book “A Catcher in the Rye” died today at 91 years old of natural causes. I remember having to read "A Catcher in the Rye" twice during my school years, once in Junior High and again in my freshman year of high school. While I enjoyed Salinger’s slang filled writing style, both times reading the book I was left with the feeling of “eh”.  I guess teenage angst of the 50’s was no match for teenage angst of the 80’s.

At any rate, Salinger will be remembered as one of America’s great authors. Rest in Peace JD.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

As a sixties kid, that was a boring book.

Hyphenated American said...

Salinger was and is one of my most favourite writers. I believe his books will live forever.

An amazing coincedence happened just recently. Two days ago I noted on my blog that “Catcher in Rye” had an amazing passage that seemed to describe Barack Obama to a "T".

And now, Salinger is dead. Could it be a mere coincedence? I don’t think so. Life reluctantly immitates art.

Related Posts with Thumbnails