Today Obama picked Judge Sonia Sotomayor to replace Supreme Court Justice Souter. Here are my thoughts on the Sotomayor
1. My earlier guesses on Obama's pick seems to have held up. Female - check, minority - check, radical - check. All the prerequisites are there. There maybe no better time for him to pick a super radical than now. Chances of getting her through confirmation...very good.
2. She is an activist alright! No doubt you have seen that YouTube video, if not check here.
3. Glenn Beck pointed out her racist remarks and her "empathy" flying in the face of the oath of SCOTUS. Nice points but with Democrats in the majority, expect all that to fall on deaf ears.
4. Regarding her slapping down a reverse discrimination case, expect that to go no where too. Democrats will fast track her appointment to make sure SCOTUS isn't dealing with it during her confirmation.
5. Best bet for Republicans to defeat her nomination? CHECK HER TAXES! She is an arrogant one, and arrogance and tax cheats go hand in hand. Americans will gloss over many of the arguments against her, but if she is Tax Cheat #8, that will stick and sink her.
6. Expect Democrats to beat back any legitimate Republican arguments with charges of racism and or sexism. Especially any charges of her qualifications or competence.
7. Sotomayor strikes me as someone who is too cute by half. She is in awe of herself and that makes her a very loose canon, even for Obama. If she is appointed, expect her to totally go off the reservation from time to time and vote by her own whims even if that flies in the face of liberal orthodoxy. This pick could actually bite Obama in the butt!
8. Obama's short list indicated that he was clearly shopping in the estrogen bin!
9. Timing is everything! The Sotomayor pick takes Obama's failures with North Korea and Iran off the front pages. Coincidence, methinks not.