Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Olbermann finds a home on Al Gore's Current TV?



You just knew that the airwaves couldn't stay fresh for long. It looks like two of America's biggest frauds are teaming up.
Media Decoder: Keith Olbermann, the former top-rated host of “Countdown” on the news channel MSNBC, will announce his next television home on Tuesday, and people familiar with his plans pointed Monday to a possible deal with the public affairs channel Current TV.
Neither Mr. Olbermann, his representatives, or executives from Current TV would comment on the move, but they did not deny that the channel, which counts former Vice President Al Gore as one of its founders, will become at least one partner in Mr. Olbermann’s future media plans.
One of the people with knowledge of the plans said Mr. Olbermann would have an equity stake in Current TV. The people insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized by their employers to comment in advance of the official announcement. [MORE]
I give Olbermann some credit for being smart enough to get an equity stake.  This way there is very little chance of him getting the ax anytime soon.
I don't know how much of a success Olbermann will be at getting more people to watch Current TV.  I for one could not even tell you where Current TV is on my cable listing and if they get Keith Olbermann, I will have even less reasons to find it.
Via: Memeorandum

Via: Media Decoder

8 comments:

Hot Sam said...

The only reason Air America had any ratings at all is because of brief pauses on their frequency during automatic station searches on modern car stereos.

Current TV is already past its expiration date. Olbermann's equity stake will be worth exactly the same as Al Gore's carbon credits.

Clifton B said...

Nick Rowe:

Current TV is already past its expiration date. Olbermann's equity stake will be worth exactly the same as Al Gore's carbon credits

You maybe right, Current TV certainly does not have half the audience MSNBC does and that is not good news.

Just a conservative girl said...

I thought I read that he couldn't go on tv until his msnbc contract was up. They just bought him out, but kept rights. Maybe that was just conjecture.

I just checked, I do have current tv. Since I have had this tv set up for almost three years and didn't know it was there, obviously I don't watch it. I did read the comments on HuffPo the night he was fired and they thought the world was coming to an end and said they would follow him virtually anywhere. I guess the only exception would have been Fox. I wouldn't be a bit surprised he brought in ratings. These people were in full out mourning. I found it quite amusing.

airbornewife said...

While reading this I thought to myself "do we have Current TV?".. so I had to go and look if we did or not. We do.. but it will be a channel that will continue to not be watched just like the Oprah Network.

kajun said...

To be honest, I didn't even know there is/was a 'Current TV'. I have cable but don't watch a lot of the stuff on there. As for Olbermann, this is just perfect for him. He's accustomed to having low ratings and that's what he'll have on Current.

BTW, I know I'm somewhat late.... but.... Happy New Year Clifton. Hope you will have a prosperous 2011 and your health will be great. Continue on with this blog and the great work you're doing. I really enjoy this site.\

kaj

Janelle said...

Current TV..........I didn't know it existed, but I didn't know the goofballs who performed the half-time super bowl entertainment were still around, either. Or couldn't have named anything they ever recorded and at some point, hopefully soon K Olbermann will be a name I can't remember much about. Not that I ever listened to him or any of the alphabet soup stations in decades.

49er16 said...

If he hadn't burned his bridge, he could have gone back to ESPN or Fox Sports or the Baseball Network. His sarcasm works for sports.

Unknown said...

One thing that we should be cognizant of is the larger media picture.

A while back Obama was using the HuffPo as a great neutral media source.

HuffPo is now bought out by a bigger company, but management was reversed....ODD

Gore media just hired another liberal icon to manage his media station.

Comcast, which controls much communication in internet and cable, bought MSNBC.

Net Neutrality in some form was passed late last year in the lame duck session.

FCC has made threats about communications limitations.

Obama is known for going around the legal process and going through regulation to get his ends (i.e. CO2 regulation through EPA, & lead bullet regulation threats) Note: Gore (who owns the new media outlet)is also a beneficiary of these regulations as are many other pals of Obama.

He is not listening to the courts about overturned regulations on oil and the most recent ruling on the unconstitutional health care bill.

The media (and administration) is already painting FNC as dangerous voices that incite violence.

The stage is set for regulation of internet and conservative news sources on the radio and TV. The players to take their place are being propped up in these latest moves.

I have no proof of any of this, but it is all happening at the same time----seems coordinated, and things are only coordinated for a purpose, which has been spoken of before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails