Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sarah Palin endorses Rand Paul


This was out earlier today, but since I only saw Rand Paul announce it, I decided to wait until I heard from the Palin camp. Conservatives 4 Palin has confirmed it, so that is good enough for me. Here is what Rand Paul had on his website earlier today: 
National political icon and conservative leader Sarah Palin has endorsed Dr. Rand Paul in his bid for United States Senate from Kentucky. The Paul campaign has received a generous donation from Governor Palin’s PAC.
Sarah Palin has clearly seen that Rand Paul supports smaller, constitutional government and is taking the fight to the career politicians and will shake up the tax and spend crowd in Washington D.C.
“Governor Palin is providing tremendous leadership as the Tea Party movement and constitutional conservatives strive to take our country back,” Rand said.
“Sarah Palin is a giant in American politics. I am proud to receive her support.”
“I’m trying to go to Washington to fight to lower taxes and spending, and for term limits and balanced budgets. I will go to protect the lives of our unborn children,” Rand said.
“I will strive to capitalize on the support of Governor Palin and so many others to go to Washington and fight for liberty and limited government and put an end to the current climate of insider politics, runaway deficits and out-of-control growth of government.”
Sarah Palin’s endorsement is another major success in a long list of achievements for the Paul campaign. Dr. Paul was recently identified as one of the five most important candidates to support by Dick Armey, Freedom Works and the National Tea Party Movement. Dr. Paul has also received endorsements from Concerned Women for America, Gun Owners of America, Steve Forbes and RedState.com,
Recent independent polls show Rand holding a double digit lead in the Republican primary and large leads over either Democratic opponent. Rand Paul has raised over $1.8 million dollars, including over $650,000 in the fourth quarter of 2009.
It appears that some people were not happy with the Palin endorsement. They were pulling for the other guy Bill Johnson a true conservative.

I have to admit to some ignorance here. I knew nothing about Bill Johnson and only know of Rand Paul’s fiscal conservatism. As far as Rand Paul’s social or foreign policy views, I need to do a little more homework. If Rand’s foreign policy views mirror his dads, then I have to say, I not that much of a fan. Fiscally though, I line up pretty close to Rand Paul.

Any readers from Kentucky want to tell me about Paul, Johnson or Grayson?

7 comments:

Just a conservative girl said...

She has been making some questionable choices of late. I did a post about this a few weeks ago. She is damaging the brand that she has crafted for herself.

It is too bad as she seemed to be making some headway with the public, but she will lose the base that supports her if she keeps doing things like this.

Beth West www.northernskyart.wordpress.com said...

I agree with Just a conservative girl. I don't understand her thinking on this choice. Clifton, you can go here and read this:

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2010/02/rand-paul-anti-war-anti-gitmo-and-anti.html

as a starting point. I'm sure you can discover much more.

Unknown said...

These Tea Parties were started for and by Ron Paul and his supporters. Ron Paul is probably more of a paleoconservative than Rand Paul. Ron Paul is the real deal if you understand the Taft/Goldwater/Reagan wing of the conservative movement. Problem is that today, everyone thinks that conservatism has something to do with NEOconservatism and I contend that the neoconservatives have very little to do with true conservatism. Go to wikipedia and read about it. I was shocked to learn I used to be a Neocon.

Clifton B said...

JACG:

I see it a little differently. First the Tea Party thing, I believe is much to do about nothing. I would go into details but I am not about to start a blog war. So lets leave it at that.

Second is the McCain thing, which let's face it, it would be very hard and awkward for her to tell McCain to take a hike. Something tells me she feel a personal obligation to the man. If you read her book you will understand why she did it.

Finally this Rand Paul thing. This was a tough call. From what I have read, she was going to get slammed either way. Kudos to her for having cajones to pick one side or another.

That all being said, Sarah Palin enjoyed fame from a position of neutrality. If she is going to use her influence, then that neutrality goes out the window.

Clifton B said...

Beth West:

Welcome to ABC. Rand like his dad, seems to be a wee bit off on foreign policy. However with 13 trillion in debt, Rand and his father are dead right on what to do.

I remember Ron Paul being one of the first people to sound the alarm about the Federal Reserve and the deficit. So, in terms of fiscal responsibility , which is beyond urgently needed, Rand is very mainstream.

Clifton B said...

J:

Welcome to ABC. I am not sure that Ron Paul is the father of the Tea Party movement. I think I would credit Beck and Rick Santellei first.

That being said, I do credit Ron Paul for being the first to sound the alarm about auditing the Fed. and how our debt was on the fast track to disaster.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the welcomes. Google search "December 16th 2007".

The guy that raised over 6.3 million in that one day. And in that year, raised more money from active duty and retired military personnel than all of the R's an all of the D's combined?

If you guys don't know this, it's because the media wrote him off.

But, as for strategy, I hope that no "one section" of the conservatives hi-jacks the movement. It needs to stay fragmented, just like the fair tax movement.

Related Posts with Thumbnails