Monday, February 22, 2010

Scott Brown votes with Dems to move Jobs Bill forward


Scott Brown voted with Democrats today to move the Senate Jobs Bill forward. We all knew Scott Brown wasn’t a tried and true conservative. He was elected as America’s Panic Button to stop ObamaCare. That is what he promised and that is what he had better deliver on. So this vote should not come as a big surprise to anyone.

Here is what Brown said about his vote [emphasis mine]: 
Washington Post: "I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside, and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families," Brown said in a statement issued by his office. "This Senate jobs bill is not perfect. I wish the tax cuts were deeper and broader, but I will vote for it because it contains measures that will help put people back to work.
"I was disappointed with the continuation of politics-as-usual in the drafting of this bill, as it was crafted behind closed doors, without transparency and accountability. I hope for improvements in that process going forward. All of us, Republicans and Democrats, have to work together to get our economy back on track. I hope my vote today is a strong step toward restoring bipartisanship in Washington."
I highlighted those phrases because this is the illogic I find so maddening with moderates.  Brown laments about the lack of transparency and accountability, but throws away any possibility for reform when he abandons principles for the sake of bipartisanship. Memo to Brown: If you want more open and accountable government, then be a man and stand up for it! Next time vote "NO" and say if they want your vote, then everything must be out in the open.

15 comments:

Chris Denning said...

I hope this squelches the Scott Brown for President crowd.

Opus #6 said...

I agree, these guys need to man up. Repubs are in the driver's seat with the people behind them. What more do they want!

TickedMD said...

Remember Martha Coakley?

Brown is the most conservative Senator we'll ever seen in MA.

I'd like to see 100 Jim DeMints in the Senate, but it ain't going to happen.

Our expectations have to be reasonable. We might be able to get a JD Hayworth in AZ, but we'll never see that in MA.

Just a conservative girl said...

This is to be expected. He is not a true conservative. He has some conservative leanings on certain things, but that is it.

I couldn't understand all this Scott Brown for President stuff when he got elected. He wouldn't be what a conservative would want. This is the first of many votes that we are not going to like.

Janelle said...

The part you highlighted is word for word exactly the same in no less than four replies from newly minted members of Congress. It wasn't palatable the first time and it's frog like behavior two decades later. Unfortunately, the frogs and scorpions in Congress don't drown.

trinity said...

I liked Brown, until I heard about this vote, and that has all gone out the window, now.

lady di said...

I will give him a chance, he was the better alternative. It's Massachusetts!!!

Clifton B said...

Chris Dening:

I hope so too. Scott Brown was merely a panic maneuver, not the second coming.

Clifton B said...

Opus #6:

I agree, with the people behind you, there is no need to be squishy.

Clifton B said...

Ticked MD:

Agreed. Right now the goal has to be removing Democrats from control of Congress. We have little time to do it, so we may have to make less than ideal choices along the way. After 2012, we can afford to be a whole lot more picky.

Clifton B said...

JACG:

I think all that Brown for president has more to do with gratitude for killing ObamaCare. Once the reality of Senator Brown sets in, all this presidential talk should fade.

Clifton B said...

Janelle:

It seems so many in Washington believe that bipartisanship should trump everything else. Bipartisanship can only work when you are working on something reasonable. If the choices are financial collapse and solvency, there is no reason to be bipartisan.

Clifton B said...

trinity:

I fully expected this from Brown, so I am not mad or disappointed. So long as he keeps his promise to vote against massive healthcare bills, I will still like him. If he reneges on that promise then a pox on his house!

Clifton B said...

lady di:

We must keep that fact in mind. It was a major step for Mass to elect a Republican, we cannot expect them to give a full conservative as well.

Fuzzy Slippers said...

Bravo! I was horrified by this vote and then flipped out at this "explanation." He's so out of there in 2012.

Related Posts with Thumbnails