Friday, February 12, 2010

Chris Christie enacts a real spending freeze in NJ


OK, now I am impressed. As you all know, I had some doubts about how conservative Chris Christie was going to be. While he did promise fiscal responsibility, I was never really sure he meant it. Now I know he means it.

From CBS News
Calling New Jersey's budget a "shambles," Gov. Chris Christie announced Thursday he is immediately freezing all state spending. 
Saying New Jersey is on the verge of bankruptcy, Christie declared a fiscal emergency, announcing drastic cuts. Among them, aid to school districts that have excess surpluses. 
"Today we are going to act swiftly to fix problems too long ignored. Today I begin to do what I promised the people of New Jersey I would do," Christie said. 

New Jersey Democrats are squealing!  They are livid because, Christie did not bother going through the legislature, instead he issued the freeze via executive order. It is a good thing he did, because already the Democrats are playing the same old game of “you can’t cut that”.   They are using the same old flimsy excuses for leaving their sacred cows untouched. 

Currently New Jersey is facing a budget shortfall of about $2 Billion. Under Corzine we have tried the raising revenue route and we still ran out of money. The problem is and always has been, that government spends too damn much.  Every time you turn around, there is New Jersey’s government creating new programs for this or a new program for that, more spending for this or more spending for that. At some point, you just have to break out the budget ax and start whacking at everything.

9 comments:

Kelsey said...

Hey, thanks for the link. :)

ROBBY97 said...

Finally someone with guts!

Left Coast Rebel said...

Finally someone to take the tea party beliefs and follow through! I cringed when I read here that NJ is facing a $2 billion deficit. My Once Golden State is facing $40 billion. It is too bad that Arnold didn't have the guts that this guy does. Perhaps CA needs a prosecutor to prosecute the statist Dems in Sacramento.

Left Coast Rebel said...

Linked at LCR.

Fuzzy Slippers said...

Hmmmm, think he's one to watch, Clifton? I like this ballsy approach to fiscal responsibility; it's what we need on a national level.

Clifton B said...

Uffda:

Anytime, you run an excellent blog.

Clifton B said...

Robby97:

I agree, I just hopes he keeps it up for the next 4 years.

Clifton B said...

LCR:

To be fair to Arnold, he probably doesn't have the kind of power Christie has. Here in NJ the Governor actually has a lot of power than most states. NY for example, the Governor is almost a figure head with the legislature yielding the real power.

Let's just hope that Cristie uses his power to rain holy hell on the spendthrifts.

Clifton B said...

Fuzzy Slippers:

He is off to a very good start. I will have to watch him over the next 4 years to see if he goes softy.

I met him at a rally and he seems very blue collar, down to earth, pedestrian if you will. That is what made me a little more comfortable voting for him.

Related Posts with Thumbnails